Using the Vortx® Toy for Fund Raising or an Offering Device
We do not officially recommend Vortx® toys for fund raising in retail store settings for reasons described below. It is not that they can't be used that way, but they are not designed for fund raising like the floor model Wells with their wide-mouth coin-drop launch ramps.
However, because of their much lower cost, they can be effective in churches, schools, and other non-retail settings where they can be placed on tables rather than on check-out counters which are too tall.
We have a Coin-Slot Sign Topper with ½ inch wide coin slots that turns the Vortx® toy into a very productive fund raising device. This page shows some close-up pictures and descriptions.
But before we do that, it is important to understand the reasons the Vortx® Coin Bank is not nearly as effective at fund-raising or as an offering device as the full size floor-model Wells. If you have the floor space and sufficient foot-traffic for a floor model, it will be much more profitable for you. Since it pays for itself quickly, the long term income is much greater.
1) Retail countertops are considered by many stores as the most valuable space in the store and they are reluctant to give it up.
2) Vortx® toys are small enough that they are easily knocked over, shoved out of reach, and some have even been stolen from store counters.
3) The top of the ramps on the toy are 15" tall. When placed on a check-out counter, that puts the top of the ramps too high for children to reach, and they can’t see down into the funnel to watch the coins spin. So that kind of placement ends up working better for adults. Or they have to pick their children up which introduces a risk factor that stores don’t like because of liability issues.
These next “disadvantages” are solved with the Coin-Slot Sign Topper Kit.
4) Without the Topper, children (and Adults) will almost always place their coins against the “back” of the launch ramps rather than the side. So the coins just shoot out on the floor. Also, without the Topper, you have to pinch a coin between your thumb and finger, then press it against the side of the ramp while releasing your finger, then remove your thumb. That sounds easy, and it is with practice, but it is very difficult for children to do. Coins stick to fingers, or they don't get pressed against the ramp, and they just fall on the table of floor. With an unsuccessful launch and spin, people just walk away. The Coin-Slot Sign Toppers solve that issue with perfect launches every time.
Elementary School Report
This is a report on the Vortx Mini-Wells we purchased for our classroom fundraising at Walton Elementary School. We placed 1 in each of 9 classrooms for 7 school days and collected a total of $506.54 for classroom needs. Our top class collected $123.50 and will earn a class reward to be voted on by those twenty 2nd graders. This means we paid off the entire cost of the Vortx’s and cleared nearly $300 in our first week! We will do this 3 or 4 times per year and are considering getting one of your floor models to place in a store or restaurant near the school. Obviously, the students and teachers love them.
Amy Miller, Walton Elementary School, Wakefield MA
5) The Vortx launch ramps were designed for quick-release so you can play the various coin-spinning games described on www.spiralwishingwells.com/toy. When used for fund raising, the Ramps get knocked off which renders the Vortx® unusable and stops any income. The Topper Kit solves that.
6) Without the Sign Topper, there is not an easy way to display a charity, project or recipient on the toy. The Topper provides a 4x6 inch sign frame into which you can slip a paper or card that you print yourself which describes the charity or project.
Therefore, if you want to use Vortx’s for fund raising or as an offering device in a church, the Coin-Slot Sign Topper will solve these issues and generate much more income for your project.
WE LOVE YOUR NEW SIGN TOPPERS! We have used your Mini-Wells as offering devices in our church for many years. But it has always been difficult for the younger children to place the coins against the side of the ramps. More often than not, the coins didn't launch correctly, and that made other children have to wait. The toppers are a great idea. Now every coin launches perfectly the first time. Thank you for coming up with this simple solution.
Judy Palmquist, Children's Ministries, The Gateway
- The Topper has ½” wide coin slots that launch the coins perfectly EVERY TIME! So every launch is successful and fun, and that leads to more coins being dropped in.
- The Topper is professionally fabricated from 0.040” durable polycarbonate (a little less than 1/16” thick).
- Each Topper Kit has “Insert Coins Here” stickers, 2 Phillips-head screws, and a piece of industrial double-stick tape that you can place under the launch ramps to help lock them in place. If you order a Topper from us at the same time as you order your Vortx(s) we will drill the matching holes in your Vortx launch ramps. If you are ordering the Topper Kits separately, you will need to drill the holes which is very easy to do.
- You supply the 4x6 card insert, so it can say anything you want. You can print it on regular paper on your computer, or have it professionally printed on card stock. If you print it on regular paper, you will want to insert a couple additional pieces of paper to prevent see-through. You can also print a second one that faces backwards, which we recommend.
- Notice that the “INSERT COINS HERE” stickers don’t use any of the valuable 4x6 inch sign space. The arrows make it obvious where to insert the coins. Every detail is important to increase income.
Click here or on the picture to the right to see the assembly instructions and a close-up of the parts that are included with each Fundraising Topper Kit.
Cost and Ordering
The Topper kits are manually cut and bent, so they are a bit pricey compared to the injection-molded Vortx. But their purpose is to generate money, and they do that exceptionally well.
The Topper kits are $20 each if ordered separately. But if you order them at the same time as the Vortx's, they are $15 if you order 1, or $12 each if you order 2 or more.
Click here to order Toppers separately which is only necessary if you already have Vortx's.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Fund Raising Hints - How to Maximize Your Vortx Income
Be sure to invite everyone to "bring all the loose change from home" The average home in America has $50 worth of coins in jars and under seat cushions which can be an adventure for children to find.
Another way you can raise money with the toys is to offer the same incentive to drop in a dollar as we do on the large Wells. This is in the form of a little promo card shown on the sign over the large Well. If you would like to offer this, we would be happy to make a custom format for your setting and send that to you as a printable page.
This is even something that could be made into a "letter brochure" that you can post or send home. Parents and Grandparents like this toy because, as a piggy bank it encourages saving money, and it makes a great show-and-tell at school, especially using some of our Student Guide information about tornados, whirlpools, and planetary orbits that the toy demonstrates. Dollars add up a lot faster than coins, so this kind of promo will increase the income for your project quite nicely, and we are happy to offer the discount to help you raise more money. It is good for us too. You can raise even more if you offer the toys FREE for a $25 to $50 donation. Click here to learn more about that option.
If your setting allows, we encourage you to demonstrate the interactive game called "Coin Limbo". Click here to see a YouTube video clip of this game. If you can give people a chance to play it on a table, they will end up putting more money in, and they will be more eager to drop in a dollar and get toys for their children.
If you are placing the Vortx on a store or restaurant counter, you can run a light decorative chain from around the neck over the back of the counter. Even if the other end of the chain it is not secured to anything, it will give people the impression that it is chained down. We have found that this helps reduce theft. And of course, empty it often so the amount of temptation is minimized.
Click here to see other promotional ideas. A small school in Oregon (USA) used these strategies and raised $7,352 in one day with a Vortx toy!
We wish you great success, and if there is any possibility of needing a floor-model Well in the future, please let us know. It might be possible to get a sponsor to completely pay for it.